Gillingham St Mary Magdalene, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Gillingham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Gillingham St Mary Magdalene, Kent|
Gillingham St Mary Kent
|Hundred||Chatham and Gillingham|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Medway|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GILLINGHAM (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Medway, hundred of Chatham and Gillingham, lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 1½ mile E by N from Chatham. 
Gillingham is a town and a Unitary Authority for the Medway district (or Medway Towns as referred to locally) in Kent. Gillingham Kent Wikipedia.
Gillingham St Mary Magdalene is an Ancient Parish and the parish church is the oldest building in Gillingham on Gillingham Green. Lidsing, Kent Genealogy was a chapelry formed from this parish.
The church dates from the 13th century with 15th century additions and restoration 1868-1869 by A W Blomfield and is designated a Grade II* listed building by English Heritage. British listed building.
See Gillingham North West Kent Family History Society for other places of worship including Brompton St Barbara Garrison Church, Kent Genealogy Lidsing, Kent Genealogy and Gillingham St Mary Magdalen.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
and registrations from July 1837 to the present day are held at
The Register Office
Telephone 01634 338902
Fax 01634 338913
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Gillingham St Mary Magdalene parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham St Mary Magdalene Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1558-1881||1558-1783, 1813-1881; 1754-1818 (banns)||1558-1881|
Gillingham St Augustine parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham St Augustine Online Parish Records|
Gillingham St Barnabas parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham St Barnabas Online Parish Records|
Gillingham St Luke the Evangelist parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham St Luke the Evangelist Online Parish Records|
Gillingham St Mark parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham St Mark Online Parish Records|
Gillingham South parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Gillingham South Online Parish Records|
Wesleyan Chapel Christenings 1808-1837 Batch (C068301)
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
Images for the Borough of Whetsted available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832 Whetsted appears to be that part of Gillingham to the north east of the town in the Grange Road/Lower Rainham Road are of the modern town.
Images for Gillingham 1780-1832 are for the town and are in a separate series.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Canterbury England Family History Centre
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 291-294. Date accessed: 5 August 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.