Great Britain, War Office Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Location of Great Britain|
|Record Type||War Office Registers|
|The National Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a variety of records kept by the War Office over the period 1772-1935. Availability of records may vary by record type, year, and locality. The original records are held at The National Archives in London.
Military Records identify individuals who served or who were eligible to serve in the military. As such, they are are potentially of great genealogical value as they may provide information not found in any other source.
Records in this collection come from across the United Kingdom of this period, and therefore may include records from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The indexed information is limited to:
- The name of the person
- Date of service
- The place of service
If possible, look at the actual image. The following list indicates potential information given in the records within this collection.
- Descriptions of the regiments/battalions
- Physical descriptions of soldiers
- Date and place of birth
- Commissions/promotions for soldiers
- Returns of services
- Casualty Lists
- Statements of settlements of soldiers, whether half pay or full pay
- Successions of ranks of soldiers
- Pensions for soldiers
- Lists of married officers (sometimes including names of children)
- Lists of wounded officers
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
This collection contains documents of various kinds, including regimental descriptions, succession books, commissions, appointments, descriptions, returns of services, casualties, half pays, pensions, and gratuities.
Digital Folder Number List[edit | edit source]
This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. The table below can be sorted by DGS number, Film number, and the Note describing the contents of the DGS image folder.
|7653900||856000||290 21st Dragoons 1810-1818 291 21st Dragoons 1816-1820 292 21st Dragoons 1812-1819 293 22nd Dragoons 1796-1812 294 22nd Dragoons 1796-1815 295 22nd Dragoons 1796-1819|
|7653872||856013||324 3rd Foot 1828-1831 325 3rd Foot 2nd Batt. 1807-1810 326 3rd Foot 2nd Batt. 1810-1816 327 3rd Foot Depot 1823-1830|
|7643987||856017||335 12th Foot 1818-1822 336 12th Foot 1822-1830 337 14th Foot 1st Batt. 1791-1802|
|7643989||874501||451 66th Foot 1823-1845 452 66th Foot 1828-1845 454 69th Foot 1825-1830 455 69th Foot 1830-1834 456 71st Foot Depot 1794-1818|
|7654030||859642||569 3rd Garrison Batt. 1802-1816 566 lst Garrison Batt. 1803-1811 567 lst Garrison Batt. 1809-1813 568 2nd Garrison Batt. 1795-1816|
|7653998||859561||763J Services of Officers on full and half pay. Returns to the circular letter 27 October 1828.|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate dates of military service
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Digital Folder Number List to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- If an age or birth year are listed, search for birth information in civil and church records
- Prior or after military service, look for the individual in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Remember that it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible matches
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
- Scotland Guided Research, Ireland Guided Research, England Guided Research
- Scotland Record Finder, Ireland Record Finder, Wales Record Finder England Record Finder
- Scotland Research Tips and Strategies, Ireland Research Tips and Strategies, Wales Research Tips and Strategies, England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.