American Samoa Deaths - What else you can try
This page will give you additional guidance and resources to find birth information for your ancestor. Use this page after first completing the birth section of the American Samoa Guided Research page.
Additional Online Resources
Additional Databases and Online Resources
- American Samoa, Passenger Lists and Travel Documents, 1918-1965 at FamilySearch
- U.S., American Samoa, Passenger Lists and Travel Documents, 1918-1965 at Ancestry.com ($)
Additional Records with Death Information
Substitute records may contain information about more than one event and are used when records for an event are not available. Records that are used to substitute for birth events may not have been created at the time of the birth . The accuracy of the record is contingent upon when the information was recorded. Search for information in multiple substitute records to confirm the accuracy of these records.
|Use these additional records to locate birth information about your ancestor:|
|Why to search the records|
|Census records may provide an age at the time of the census, giving an estimated birth year.|
|Marriage records may occasionally provide the age of the individuals getting married, giving an estimated birth year.|
|Death and burial records may provide an age at the time of death, giving an estimated birth year.|
|Church records often contain christening/baptism, marriage, and burial records that can list ages and possible birthdates.|
Finding Town of Origin
Knowing an ancestor’s hometown can be important to locate more records. If a person immigrated to the United States, try Finding Town of Origin to find the ancestor’s hometown.
Virtual Genealogy Consultations
Schedule a free online consultation with a research specialist:
Ask the Community
Select a community research group where you can ask questions and receive free genealogy help.
Tips for finding deaths
Successfully finding death records in online databases depends on a few key points. Try the following search suggestions:
- Spelling variations. Your ancestor's name may be misspelled. Search with spelling variations for the first and last name of your ancestor.
- Search given name. Search by given name (leave out the last name) with the approximate date of birth or death.
- Add information. For common names, add more information to narrow the search such as approximate birth date or parent's names if known.
- Date range. Expand the date range of the search by 5 years.
- Search state. Search using the state name only instead of by county.