Harpenden, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Harpenden, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Hertfordshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||St Albans|
|Registration District||St Albans|
|Parish registers: 1562; For more records see Wheathampstead|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Rural Deanery||St Albans|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Harpenden, or Harden, is a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Albans district, Hertfordshire. The villiage stands near the river Lea and Hatfield and Dunstable railway, it is 1 1/4 miles from the boundary with Bedfordshire, and 4 1/2 miles NW of St. Albans. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Harpenden, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Harpenden, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1524/5 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1524/5 Lay Subsidy (E179/120/122 roll 2) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228679.
1626 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1626 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/329 membrane 1) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
1628 Subsidies[edit | edit source]
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/331 roll 2 dorse) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/333 roll 1) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/336 roll 3 dorse) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Harpenden on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.