|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
History[edit | edit source]
A non-reservation Indian boarding school was opened in Lawrence, Kansas in 1884 with 15 students. It was renamed for Dudley Haskell, the U.S. Representative from Kansas, who was instrumental in getting the school located at Lawrence. It became Haskell Institute in 1890 and by 1894 had over 600 students from 36 states.
Haskell Institute began offering college level classes in 1927. It graduated its last high school class in 1965. Haskell Institute became Haskell Indian Junior College in 1970. In 1993, it became Haskell Indian Nations University.
Records[edit | edit source]
Many of the records of Haskell Institute are located at the Central Plains Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) at Kansas City, under Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. In addition to the regular administrative files found for most schools, the following records of interest to family historians are included:
- Student case files, ca. 1884-1958. These case files are also available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
- Daily attendance reports, 1897-1960
- Enrollment records, 1899-1901
- Employment record cards, 1897-1960
For a time, Haskell Institute was supervised by the Anadarko Area Office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Records of that office are found in the National Archives Southwest Region (Ft. Worth), also under Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Haskell Institute, 1910-1936, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 59-61, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm numbers 1724277-1724279).
Haskell Institude. School Records, 1884-1953. FHL film: 1205530 first film
Child, Brenda J. Boarding School Seasons American Indian Families 1900-1940. University of Nebraska Press, Appendixes 4: Haskell Institute Cemetery Burials, by Tribal Name on Tombstone FHL book 970.1 C436b WorldCat
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.