Hawaii Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Hawaii Marriages, 1826-1922
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Hawaii|
|Location of Hawaii|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is an electronic index of marriages for the years 1826 to 1922. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can these Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The names of the bride and groom
- The marriage date and place
- Birth year and place
- Parents' names
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
An example of an indexed record:
|Maria Leinaala Smith||Mentioned in the record of Benjamin Hornblower Clarke and Maria Leinaala Smith|
|Name||Benjamin Hornblower Clarke|
|Spouse's Name||Maria Leinaala Smith|
|Spouse's Birth Date||1889|
|Event Date||30 Oct 1911|
|Event Place||Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii|
|Father's Name||Thomas K. Clarke|
|Mother's Name||Annie Hornblower|
|Spouse's Father's Name||Henry Smith|
|Spouse's Mother's Name||Maria Jane Marble|
|Spouse's Marital Status||Single|
Coverage Table and Map[edit | edit source]
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Hawaii marriages, click here.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1852-1933||Marriages, 1826-1922||Deaths and Burials, 1862-1919|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The approximate date of marriage
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Index to Archives of Hawaii Collection of Marriage Records, 1826-1910. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
- Witnesses or bondsmen listed on the marriage were usually relatives
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Hawaii.
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.