Help:Adding Images to Articles
|This help article will guide you as you edit in the Wiki. See Contributor Help for more help articles.|
To insert an image into an article, the image must first be submitted, approved, and uploaded to the FamilySearch Wiki.
An uploaded image file may be searched for like any article on the Family Search Research Wiki. Type the keyword(s) into the search box and hit the Enter button. A list of article shows, but look to the left and hit the Multimedia link. Now a list of image files shows. Scroll down to the image file you want.
You can also find uploaded image files by category, if they have been categorized first. Navigate to the category you want, then scroll down. Image files are shown last after the other files.
If you wish to use Wikitext, skip down to the section called Inserting Images using Wikitext, otherwise continue with the next section.
Note: An inserted image is loosely tied to the surrounding text. This makes it difficult to place the image in just the right location. It is often much easier to format the surrounding text to accommodate the image.
Inserting images using Wikitext[edit | edit source]
1) Make sure you are in Wikitext mode. 2) Open the image file to be inserted. Right under the image, the Name of the Image is listed. Copy this name, because the exact name of the image must be used.
3) Open the article where you intend to insert the image.
4) Click the Edit Source tab. The Edit Window will open. Then Click in the edit window where you want the image inserted.
5) Type in the following - Two opening square brackets, then the word File followed by a colon and the Name of the Image, finally two closing square brackets. For example: [[File:Example.jpg]]
6) There are many ways to format an image on the page to make it look better, such as size, border, caption, which side of the page, etc.
7) When all your changes have been made, save the page
Saving the page with an inserted image[edit | edit source]
|NOTE: You should see two scroll bars while in the editing mode. One is part of the editing window, and the other is on the far right-hand side of the computer screen. Use the Outside scroll bar to scroll down.|
1) Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Window.
2) Fill in the Summary with something like Inserted Image. Then click the Save page button.
3) The Wiki article will now display along with the image.
4) If you click on the image, the image file itself will open.