Help:Wiki University Contributors--Editing an Article
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Having reviewed the first four lessons, you should be familiar with:
- what the Wiki is and it's purpose;
- what standards are to be followed;
- what the common links and tabs represent on each page; and
- how to create your personal pages, especially workarea sandboxes.
You are now ready to begin editing in the Wiki.
Visual Editor or Wikitext Editor?[edit | edit source]
Wiki code can be edited using either Visual Editor or Wikitext Editor.
Visual Editor[edit | edit source]
- This editor is considered a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor and works like a word processor.
- It is used to generate wikitext code or HTML code which will affect a page's appearance.
- You can learn more about using this editor in the Wiki University Visual Editor Tutorial.
Wikitext Editor[edit | edit source]
- Wikitext, also known as Wikicode, is a hypertext markup editor that consists of SPECIFIC SYNTAX and keywords to format a page.
- Although this editor is harder to learn, it is considered more robust than Visual Editor; meaning, you can have more varied effects on a page than Visual Editor.
- You can learn more about using this editor in the Wiki University Wikitext Tutorial.
Editing the Wiki[edit | edit source]
This section will focus on "How To Edit" by providing links to step-by-step processes and mini demonstration videos using either of the two editors. (Be advised: You must be logged in before editing the Wiki.)
|Task Description||Visual Editor How To Links||Wikitext Editor How To Links||Visual Editor Video||Wikitext Editor Video|
|Add or modify text
||[place VIDEO 3 link here]||[place VIDEO 8 link here]|
||[place VIDEO 5 link here]||[place VIDEO 10 link here]|
|Link to Wiki pages or websites
||[place VIDEO 4 link here]||[place VIDEO 9 link here]|
||[place VIDEO 6 link here]||[place VIDEO 11 link here]|
|Adding special characters||
|Submitting images for upload||
1. Be sure your image conforms to the Wiki Image Use Policy.
|Request to Change a page name||
1. Go to the page or article you want the name changed.
|Request to Delete a page||
1. Go to the page or article you want deleted.