Help:Wiki University Family History Centers -- Editing Pages
How to Edit your FHC Wiki Page[edit | edit source]
Page sections are optional[edit | edit source]
- Your wiki page was created with a number of sections already there.
- These sections are not required on every page.
- You are welcome to add sections that are helpful for your patrons and to delete sections that are not applicable or helpful to your center.
Link to your FHC from other pages[edit | edit source]
- Add links to your center page from other pages that might relate to your center such as the city and county locality pages in the Wiki.
Add details about your center[edit | edit source]
- To add details about your center, you must first be granted editing rights.
- To request editing rights, fill out this form. Within 48 hours, you will receive an email notifying your editing status.
- Once you are able to edit, use the following instructions to edit your center page:
- Open the Wiki in your browser.
- Log into the FamilySearch Wiki website.
- Navigate to your center Wiki page.
- Click on the Edit tab in the top right corner of your Family History Center page to edit in Visual Editor.
- For more instructions on editing with VisualEditor, click here
Editing FHC pages[edit | edit source]
- Replace any instructions that are in parentheses and italics with information about your family history center.
- Remove the headings you will not be using from on the page. You can always add the headings back in the future. To see what was there before, you can click on the "View history" tab at the top of the page and click on a date to view what the page looked like at that point in time.
Bullets, numbered lists and indents[edit | edit source]
These pages were created with the idea of having "section headings" with information about each topic under each section heading. Most of the sections already include bullets underneath, but some do not. To add information below a heading, put your cursor on the end of the row and hit enter. To add bullets, numbered lists, or indented paragraphs, you can use the number, bullet, and indent icons in the VisualEditor toolbar at the top of the page.
If you prefer to edit in Wikitext, click on the Edit Source tab in the top right corner of the Wiki page and use the following instructions:
- Bullets. Type a * at the beginning of a line.
- Numbered lists. Type a # at the beginning of a line.
- Indented paragraphs. Type a : at the beginning of a line. If you want to indent two times, type ::. You can also type a : in front of * or # to indent bullets or numbered lists.
- Useful Wiki Code. For other useful Wiki codes to edit your FHC page see Help:Formatting
For more instruction and details on creating lists using Wikitext coding click here
Examples of United State Family History Center pages[edit | edit source]
Family History Center pages run from bear bones to detailed and elaborate. For examples of Family History Center pages throughout the United States, click here