Help:Wiki University Wikitext--Images
- Nesting Lists
- Broken Links
- Image Embedding
- Image Tooltips & Borders
- Image Links
- Images & Text; Embedding PDF
- Snipping Tool & Paint
- Inline Styling
- Changing Fonts
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Div Tag - Intro
- Width and Height
- Alignment - Horizontal
- Breadcrumb Trails
Placing images on pages[edit | edit source]
Pictures are worth a "thousand words". They also liven up and make a page far more interesting to look at. A page of straight text will often turn people away from reading your material no matter how informative the material may be. Try to use images when possible to illustrate the concepts in your articles.
Images must all be approved[edit | edit source]
The only images allowed in FamilySearch Wiki are those accepted by FamilySearch Wiki. All images must be approved before they can be placed in any article. The process for submitting images and the conditions for their acceptance is explained here.
The number of images you can put on a page is unlimited, but common sense and good taste should dictate how many and where they should be placed.
How to embed an image[edit | edit source]
Since the approved images are stored in the FamilySearch Wiki, we link to them with an internal link:
- The image is stored under the name "File:Handcart pioneers.jpg." You must use this name in the internal link for the image to show up on the page.
- NOTICE the name of the image "File:Handcart pioneers.jpg" starts with the word "File" and a colon.
- The extension ".jpg" must be in the link.
- The word "image" can be used in place of "file."
- NOTICE the default position of images are on the left side of the page.
Size of image[edit | edit source]
- When images are accepted by FamilySearch Wiki, they are stored in the size they were submitted. For example: If an image was 3000 pixels wide when it was submitted for approval, it will be stored at that size.
- If we did not limit the size of the image below, it would appear like this on the page:
- The size of the image overwhelms the page so we must have a way to reduce its size.
- We will have to limit the size of the image so it will fit on the page. For our example, we will limit the image to 200 pixels wide. Here is the code:
- This is how the image appears now:
- This size is more manageable.
Image placement on a page[edit | edit source]
Default position is on the left side of the page as mentioned and shown on the previous page.
Image on the right[edit | edit source]
What if we want the image on the right side of the page? Enter this coding to the link of the image:
- Now it is on the right side of the page.
- You can also center the image by replacing "right" with "center".
Try these out[edit | edit source]