Horsham Poor Law Union, Sussex
History[edit | edit source]
Horsham Poor Law Union was formed on 14th September 1835
The Horsham workhouse was built in 1838/9 and could house up to 250 people.
It became the Horsham Public Assistance Institution upon the demise of the Horsham Poor Law Union in 1929/30.
The Infirmary and Workshouse buildings were used in the 1940's for Canadian World War 2 casualties and later passed into control of the Earlswood Hospital Trust and becam known as The Forest Hospital for peple with Learning Difficulties.
It has now been converted to private residential housing.