Hospital Guards, Rhode Island Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The Hospital Guards, Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Portsmouth Grove December 6, 1862.
It was mustered out August 26, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wikipedia - a list of military unites raised by the state of Rhode Island during the American Civil War.
- Civil War Index - Primary Source Material on the Soldiers and the Battles
- Civil War Military Records - Rhode Island Historical Society- Guards Related Papers from Hospital Guards, Rhode Island Volunteers
- Rootsweb.ancestry.com - History of Providence County, Rhode Island - VIII
- Mattesons in the Civil War - a list of people with the surname of Matteson who served in the Civil War.
- Men at Prescott - a list of men which are buried at Prescott who served during the Civil War.
- Higgins in the Civil War - a list of people who served in the Civil War.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)