India, Tamil Nadu, Chennai, Church Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Flag of the Republic of India|
|Location of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Location of India|
|Languages||Tamil and English|
|Church of South India Diocese of Madras, Chennai, India|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection has Church records for the Diocese of Madras, of the Church of South India in Chennai, India. The diocese is divided into four administrative areas: Madras North, Madras South, Central, and Southern. St. George's Cathedral in Chennai is the diocesan seat.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in English and Tamil. For help reading these records see the guides:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated birth, marriage or death year
View the Images[edit | edit source]You will be able to view the images in this collection when it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
- If you can’t find your ancestor, search the records of nearby localities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in India.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.