Intermountain Indian School (Utah)
History[edit | edit source]
Intermountain Indian School was located in Brigham City, Utah. It occupied the buildings formerly known as the Bushnell Army Hospital, which treated wounded soldiers of World War II from 1942 to 1946.
The property was turned over to the BIA on the 4th of June 1948 to be used as a federally-run Navajo boarding school. The school opened in January 1950 with more than 500 students attending. Students were bussed from the Navajo Reservation in Arizona to Brigham City.
In 1974 the name was changed to the Intermountain Inter-Tribal School, and students were accepted from nearly 100 tribes.
Intermountain closed in 1984, due in part to declining enrollment.
Records[edit | edit source]
At least some of the records for this school are in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, including student case files, 1953-1971. (These files are only available to the individual themself, or to others once the individual is deceased. Otherwise records will be publicly available after 75 years.)
Extensive photographic records of the school, artifacts from it (including yearbooks, literary magazines, and other student-produced materials), and oral histories with former staff and students are in the collections of the Brigham City Museum of art and history. A portion of these materials are available online.
The majority of the school's records were thrown away when the school closed.
School Records - Student Roster, 1950-1951. FHL Film: 1205530 Item 2
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online