Iowa Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Iowa Marriages, 1809-1992
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This index is an electronic index for the years 1809 to 1992. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the bride or groom
- The date of marriage
- The place where the marriage took place
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Examples of indexed records:
|Jessie E. Smith||mentioned in the record of James G. King and Jessie E. Smith|
|Name||James G. King|
|Spouse's Name||Jessie E. Smith|
|Spouse's Birth Date||1880|
|Event Date||02 May 1899|
|Event Place||Le Mars, First Methodist Episcopal Church, Plymouth, Iowa|
|Paul Damien Smith||mentioned in the record of Paul Damien Smith and Norma Johnson|
|Name||Paul Damien Smith|
|Birth Date||18 Jun1925|
|Spouse's Name||Norma Johnson|
|Event Date||31 May 1950|
|Event Place||Laurens, Iowa|
|Father's Name||Albert Smith|
|Mother's Name||Mary McKenna|
Coverage Table and Map[edit | edit source]
A coverage table for this collection is available in the wiki article Iowa Marriages, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records.
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Iowa marriages, click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The names of the bride and groom
- The date and place of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other vital records such as birth, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Witnesses to marriages were often family members
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
- top|Top of Page]]
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.