Ireland, Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage License Bonds Indexes - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland, Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage License Bonds Indexes, 1623-1866
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
|National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These licenses were issued by the established Church of Ireland, they were issued to Catholics as well as Protestants who chose to be married by license. Most of the actual licenses were destroyed in the 1922 fire at the Public Record Office; only the indexes survived.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The person's name
- Approximate year of marriage
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to find the person in other records
- Update your records with the information you have found
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Search the records of nearby areas
- Check for other names. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
- Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920
- Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851
- Ireland Census, 1821
- Ireland Census, 1831
- Ireland Census, 1841
- Ireland Census, 1851
- Ireland Census, 1901
- Ireland Census, 1911
- Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
- Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913
- Ireland Deaths, 1864-1870
- Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
- Ireland Tithe Applotment Books, 1814-1855
- Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers, 1828-1912
- Ireland, Valuation Office Books, 1831-1856
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.