Ireland, Diocesan and Prerogative Wills & Administrations Indexes - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland, Diocesan and Prerogative Wills & Administrations Indexes, 1595-1858
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
|National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index to Irish Wills and Bonds, 1595-1858 from civil and ecclesiastical authorities.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Principal's Name and Surname
- Principal's residence
- Date of will and administration
- Spouse's name
- Residence county
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The information in the records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the deceased or the testator
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after 1900
- There is also some variation in the information given from one record to another record
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Search the records of nearby towns
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
- Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920
- Ireland Census Search Forms, 1841 and 1851
- Ireland Census, 1821
- Ireland Census, 1831
- Ireland Census, 1841
- Ireland Census, 1851
- Ireland Census, 1901
- Ireland Census, 1911
- Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
- Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913
- Ireland Deaths, 1864-1870
- Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
- Ireland Tithe Applotment Books, 1814-1855
- Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers, 1828-1912
- Ireland, Valuation Office Books, 1831-1856
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.