Ireland, Dublin and Belfast City Census Heads of Household Index, 1851 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Dublin, Ireland|
|Location of Ireland|
|The National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is a collection of the heads of household index for the cities of Dublin and Belfast in 1851. The index is taken from transcriptions of the original census records, which were destroyed by fire. The index contains the name of the head of the household, the townland, parish, and county. This collection was filmed at the National Archives of Ireland and the index was created by findmypast.com
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
This index may contain the following information:
- Head of household name
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- The approximate location of residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select first browse level
- Select next browse level
- Select final browse level to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the head of household name to connect to other ancestors
- Use the parish to look for baptism, marriage and death records
- Use the residence to search for civil or land records in the area
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same area
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
- Check for variant spellings of the names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.