Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers, 1828-1912
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
|Record Type||Petty Sessions Court Registers|
|The National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes court records from 1828 to 1912 for minor criminal and civil cases. The law court was called Petty Sessions Court, and these are the registers for those cases. Even dog registration was handled by this court.
This collection was originally captured by the National Archives of Ireland, and the index was created by findmypast.com.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these court records:
- Individual’s Name
- Date and county of court order
- Individual's Role (complainant, defendant, or witness)
- Other court details
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate date of birth
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Court orders usually identify the county. Search this county to find other local records, such as census records and parish registers, that may contain your ancestor
- Search the court case information for family names or clues about your ancestor’s situation or life story
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Take a look at the image of the actual record to verify that the information in the index is correct. As with any index, transcription errors may occur
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.