Italy, La Spezia, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Italy, La Spezia, Catholic Church Records, 1838-1857
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|La Spezia, Italy|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Location of La Spezia, Italy|
|Location of Italy|
|Title in the Language:||Italia, La Spezia, Registri Parrocchiali, 1838-1857|
|State Archives of La Spezia, La Spezia, Italy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of images of baptisms, marriages, and deaths from Provincia of La Spezia, Italy for the years 1838 to 1857.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
For help reading these records, see the following guides:
FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Italy, La Spezia, Catholic Church Records, 1838-1857.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Province
- Select Comune or Frazione (Municipality or Fraction)
- Select Record Type and Year to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the Italy Record Finder and Italy Research Tips and Strategies to find other records
- Italy Civil Registration are also a good substitute when church records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Italy.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.