Italy, Napoli, Ischia Civil Registration, Comune - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Italy Napoli, Ischia, Civil Registration (Comune), 1809-1929
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Ischia, Napoli, Italy|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Flag of Napoli Province (Naples)|
|Location of Ischia, Napoli, Italy|
|Location of Italy|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration|
|Title in the Language:||Stato Civile di Ischia, Naples, Italia, 1809-1929|
|d'Ischia City Archive, Ischia, Italy|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection of civil registration records includes births, marriages, death, and supplemental documentation files. The registration of birth, marriage, and death were kept on separate registers. Records for this collection include the years 1809-1929.
The civil registration records are an excellent source of accurate data on names, dates, and places for genealogical research in Ischia. However, before 1860, when civil registration became law for the entire country, it is suggested to research the church records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Italian. For help reading them see:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Italy Napoli, Ischia, Civil Registration (Comune), 1809-1929.|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Comune or Frazione (Municipality or Fraction)
- Select Record Type and Year to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Italia, Napoli, Ischia. Stato Civile : Comune, 1809-1930. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age in the citizen to find an approximate birth year to begin your search in church or civil records
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have moved, been recruited or lived nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify. Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. This compiled list can help you identify possible relations that can be further verified by researching vital records indexes in the country
- When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as a title, an occupation, or land ownership. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Switch to a different record collection. Depending on the time period, either Civil Registration records or Church Records may be more useful
- While searching, it is helpful to know such information as the ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as an ancestor and that the ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times
- Keep in mind that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Italy.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.