Jackson County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to Jackson County, Michigan ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||October 29, 1829|
|Address||Jackson County Courthouse|
312 S. Jackson Street
Jackson, MI 49201
Jackson County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Directories
- 4.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Obituaries
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The county is named after President Andrew Jackson (1767-1845). The County has Jackson as its seat and the County was created August 1, 1832. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
Jackson County, Michigan Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867, marriage records from 1830’s, divorce records from 1800’s and naturalization records.
Probate Court has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records.
Clerk of the District Court has court records. 
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Michigan county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Michigan County Boundary Maps" (1790-1897) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Michigan Cemeteries for more information.|
Deb Hayes-Wolfe has been adding photos of headstones and information for Jackson County, Michigan on Find A Grave.
Bio and Links
Because of fires, floods and loss, I started photographing all the markers in Jackson Co Michigan in Nov 2006. We've discovered the 1927 DAR WPA cemetery transcription project didn't have anyone actually walk any of the county cemeteries. They obtained the information from cemetery records, church records and neighbors. Fortunately for all of us this included records of those graves with no markers. Most of the early cemetery records have perished along with some of the cemeteries. Hopefully, we will be able to provide info for descendants of the early/current residents of Jackson County Michigan. By using census, marriage, death and local history information we try to make our entries as complete as possible. Email with info on your ancestors and we'll add them to any of our records. We'll be happy to help you in your search. I'm am the County Keeper for Jackson Co.
Currently, I'm working on adding maiden names to as many memorials as possible.
As of 22 Aug 2009 Jackson Co has 66,501 burials recorded. By Jan 2010 72,323 burials.
Census[edit | edit source]
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Michigan denominations, view the Michigan Church Records wiki page.
Ward and Branch Records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Court[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
You can find city directories for Jackson City on Ancestry.com 1883-1901 and 1936-1952.
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Michigan Land and Property for additional information about early Michigan land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Jackson County, Michigan Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Michigan Local Histories.
History of Jackson County, Michigan can be found in full content on Google Book website.
DeLand's History of Jackson County, Michigan can be found in full content on Google Book website.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Family Maps of Jackson County, Michigan Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps of Michigan (1790-1897)
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Jackson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Jackson County.
- - 12th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Company D
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Companies F, G, K, and Unassigned
- Michigan, Civil War Centennial Observance Commission, Committee on Civil War Grave Registration, Burial Records at FamilySearch — index
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1917-1919 - Michigan, Census of World War I Veterans with Card Index, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
GenealogyBank.com has a collection of Jackson County newspapers online.
Finding More Michigan Newspapers[edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson County, Michigan Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
In most counties in Michigan, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate packets, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Michigan, Jackson and search for Probate records in the list.
- Note: Not every county in Michigan will have Probate Records in the FamilySearch Catalog.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1980 Michigan Wills and Probate Records 1784-1980 at Ancestry — index and images $
- 1797 – 1973 Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973 at FamilySearch — images
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased as shown below:
- Birth Records and Death Records from the Michigan Department of Community Health (from 1867) or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- Marriage Records (from 1867) and Divorce Records (from 1897) from the County Clerk.
- Marriage Records (from 1867) and Divorce Records (from 1897) from the County Clerk.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1867-1917 - Michigan, County Births, 1867-1917 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1867-1902 - Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 — index and images
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1585-1945 - Michigan, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1820-1937 - Michigan, County Marriages Index, 1820-1937 at FamilySearch — index
- 1820-1940 - Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1868-1925 - Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1880 - Michigan Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1867-1897 - Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 — index and images
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Jackson County Genealogical Society
PO Box 188
Jackson, MI 49204
- Jackson County Genealogical Society Library
211 W. Ganson Street
Jackson, MI 49201
Family History Centers
[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Jackson Michigan Family History Center 3019 W Morrell St, Jackson, MI 49203
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Michigan Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Genealogy Trails Jackson County Michigan
- Jackson County MI Genealogy (Michigan Genealogy)
References[edit | edit source]
- "List of counties in Michigan," Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jackson County, Michigan" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County,_Michigan."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jackson County, Michigan . Page 343-351 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 346-349.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jackson County, Michigan page 346, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jackson County, Michigan," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County%2C_Michigan#Communities, accessed 17 October 2019.