Japanese Americans in World War II
Japanese-American Internee File[edit | edit source]
The " Records About Japanese Americans Relocated During World War II, created, 1988 - 1989, documenting the period 1942 - 1946" (ARC I.D. 1055737) contains information about Japanese Americans evacuated from the states of Washington, Oregon, and California to ten relocation centers operated by the War Relocation Authority during World War II.
The relocation centers were located at:
- Arizona (Colorado River and Gila River Centers)
- Arkansas (Rohwer and Jerome Centers)
- California (Tule Lake and Manzanar Centers)
- Colorado (Granada Center)
- Idaho (Minidoka Center)
- Utah (Central Utah Center)
- Wyoming (Heart Mountain Center)
The National Archives has created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document for this database to help explain some of the questions regarding this electronic record.
Content of the Records[edit | edit source]
Each record represents an individual and includes information such as the individual’s name, relocation project and assembly center to which assigned, previous address, birthplace of parents, occupation of father, education, foreign residence, sex and marital status, race of evacuee and spouse, year of birth, birthplace, languages, alien registration number, social security number, occupations.
Members of the same family will usually have the same “Individual Number” assigned to them which is followed by a different letter. Note: The database on Ancestry.com does not contain the "Individual Number" that can be used to identify family members.
Where to Find the Records[edit | edit source]
- United States, War Relocation Authority Centers, Final Accountability Rosters - FamilySearch Historical Records
- United States, Japanese Americans Relocated During World War II - FamilySearch Historical Records
- DENSHO Digital Archive
- Japanese-American Internee Data File, 1942 - 1946 (National Archives)
- Japanese Americans Relocated During World War II (Ancestry) ($)
- United States, War Relocation Authority centers, final accountability rosters, 1942-1946 index and images
References[edit | edit source]