Johnston's Company, Tennessee Heavy Artillery (Southern Guards Artillery)
Brief History[edit | edit source]
"Memphis Southern Guards"; "Southern Guards Artillery" - Formerly Captain James Hamilton's Company; Captain S.H.D. Hamilton's Company; Company "L", Artillery Corps of Tennessee.
This company was organized at Memphis, Tennessee, April 21, 1861, with James Hamilton as its first captain. It was mustered into Confederate service at New Madrid, Missouri on August 20, 1861. It was first stationed at Fort Pillow, Tipton County. 
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. Memorial rolls for Southern Guards Artillery starts on page 878.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, Captain T.N. Johnston's Tennessee Heavy Artillery Company, (accessed 31 Dec 2011). A brief history.
References[edit | edit source]
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, Captain T.N. Johnston's Tennessee Heavy Artillery Company, (accessed 31 Dec 2011).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).