Ancestral Homeland: Washington, Oregon and northern California
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
P.O. Box 436
Chiloquin, OR 97624-0436
- The Klamath Tribes Official Website
History[edit | edit source]
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
- 1829: Peter Skene Ogden (Hudson Bay Company) established trade relations with the tribe
- 1864: Treaty, settled on a reservation
- 1872-73: Modoc War
- 1954: U.S. Congress terminated the tribe
- 1961: Klamath Tribe of Oregon Terminated, Tribal membership 2,133, Tribal land (Acres) 862,662
- 1986: Regained federal recognition
Stern, Theodore. The Klamath Tribe A People and Their Reservation. University of Washington Press. 1966 FHL book 970.3 K662s
Additional References to the History of the Tribe[edit | edit source]
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Klamath tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Superintendencies[edit | edit source]
Reservations[edit | edit source]
Agencies[edit | edit source]
Klamath Agency- California
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Correspondence and Census[edit | edit source]
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
Post 1885 Census
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Klamath||Hoopa Valley Agency, 1891-1929||San Francisco||-||-||12,182-87,224-27||FHL Films: 576871-576876|
|Klamath, Lower||Greenville School/Agency, 1897-1921||San Francisco||-||-||-||-|
|Klamath, Lower||Roseburg Agency, 1913-18||San Francisco||-||-||446||-|
|Klamath||Klamath Indian Agency, 1865-1952||-||-||-||12,182-87,224-27||FHLFilms: 576871-576876|
Treaty[edit | edit source]
- 1864 Klamath, Etc.,
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Constitution of the Klamath Tribes.
- The Klamath Tribes Official Website
- Klamath Tribes Wikipedia
References[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.