Knox County, Tennessee Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Knox County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 50 books or articles have been published about Knox County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Knox County, Tennessee
DNA[edit | edit source]
DNA has been collected from men claiming descent from the following Knox County residents. Attempts have not been made to verify the lineages of those tested.
- [Brown] Descendant of John Brown, b. 1799, d. aft 1860 of Knox County, Tennessee. Y-DNA 37 Marker Test, FTDNA (Kit 7512). Genetic signature available online (labeled Group No. 25), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study. Matches have been found.
- [Brown] Multiple descendants of William Brown, b. abt. 1730 of Augusta County, Virginia, d. 1807 Knox County, Tennessee. Y-DNA 12, 25, 37, and 67 Marker Tests, FTDNA (Kits 3996, 4020, 12719, 88144, 20243, 61359). Genetic signatures available online (labeled Group No. 2), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study.
General[edit | edit source]
Gordon Aronhime (1911-1983) collected information on hundreds of Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee pioneers. His note cards, which reference more than 4,000 early settlers of the Holston-Clinch River area and East Tennessee (1770s-1790s), are held at the Library of Virginia. The cards have been digitized and made available online.
As of August 2010, a query for persons born in Knox, Tennessee at World Connect, results in more than 90,000 entries.
For early settlers (pre-1796), start with:
- East Tennessee Historical Society. First Families of Tennessee: A Register of Early Settlers and Their Present-day Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: East Tennessee Historical Society, 2000. FHL Book 976.8 H2.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alldredge-Aldridge] Lester, Memory Aldridge Alldredge-Aldridge-Bracken-Nesmith families and their kin Chapel Hill, N.C.: M.A. Lester, 1957 FHL Book 929.273 AL52L; digital version available at FamilySearch Digital Library .
- [Alldredge] Sausaman, William Amel Nathan Alldredge (1739-1826) of North Carolina and Tennessee and his descendants. Springfield, Ill.: W.A. Sausaman, 1971. FHL Book 929.273 AL52s; digital version available from FamilySearch Digital Library .
- [Alstott] Badgley, Azalea Green. Alstott Family Bible Records, 1755-1845. Donated 1945. FHL Film 1697360 Item 13.
- [Ayers] Gart, Jeanne Brooks. The Families of Joseph and Charlotte (Shelton) Ayers: Knox County, Tennessee and Macon County, Missouri, Including Ralph Shelton, Middlesex County, Virginia and Reuben M. Dunnington. Boston, Mass.: Newbury Street Press, 1997?. FHL Book 929.273 Ay24g.
- [Bates] Bates, Madison C. Bates, a Brief History and Genealogy of Joseph Harrison Bates. Galesburg, Ill.: Wagoner Printing Co., 1915. FHL/VAULT Film 1145782 Item 3; digital version at Google Books.
- [Belieu] Rust, Elma Sprague. Belieu: Micajah Belieu and Some of His Descendants, 1795 Wilkes County, NC, to 1990. Blachly, Oregon: E.S. Rust, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 B412r.
- [Bell] Bell, Eldon Raymond. Bells History: of Shenandoah Valley, VA and Knox County, TN. Springdale, Arkansas: E.R. Bell, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 B413ber.
- [Blackley] Perry, Gregory M. The Charles Blackley Family of Knox County, Tennessee. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 B565p.
- [Blount] Wright, Marcus Joseph. Some Account of the Life and Services of William Blount.... Washington,D.C.: E.J.Gray, 1884. Free digital copy.
- [Bracken]See Alldredge-Aldridge.
- [Brownlow] Portrait and Biography of Parson Brownlow, the Tennessee Patriot: Together with His Last Editorial in the Knoxville Whig; Also, His Recent Speeches, Rehearsing His Experience with Secession, and His Prison Life. Indianapolis, Ind.: Asher & Co., Publishers, 1862. Digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive.
- [Campbell] Daughters of the American Revolution. Campbell Family of Knox Co., Tenn. [ca. 1800-1900]. Typescript, National Library of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Washington, D.C. Microfilmed in 1971. FHL Film 872778 Item 3.
- [Campbell] Fassnacht, Grace Spencer. Campbell Kith and Kin: Descendants of Archibald Campbell and Elizabeth Baker Who Came from Campbell County, Virginia to Knox County, Tennessee, 1796. Chattanooga, Tenn.: G.S. Fassnacht, [198-?]. FHL Book 929.273 C152fg.
- [Campbell] Schlotterbeck, Mrs. W.K. Archibald Campbell. Typescript, Dallas, Texas. Microfilmed 1991. FHL Film 1787180 Item 15.
- [Carns] Carns, Carolyn. Carns Chronicles: Carns of Tennessee, Carns of the West. Las Vegas, Nev.: C. Carns, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 C219cc.
- [Chapman] Ristau, Patricia. Chapman Family History and Genealogical Records, 1796-1926. Typescript, microfilmed 1986. FHL Film 1321077 Item 24.
- [Chesney] Orcutt, Joel Thomas. Our Tennessee Chesneys: A Genealogy of the Families of John Chesney 1794-1876 Early Settler of Grainger County, Tennessee & Nathaniel Richard Chesney 1796-1885 Early Settler of Knox County, Tennessee. Terlton, Okla.: J.T. Orcutt, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 C425o.
- [Claiborne] Burns, Annie Walker. Historical Records of the Claiborne Family: Variously Spelled Clayborne, Cliborne, Cleborn & etc. Washington, D.C.: A.W. Burns, 1943. FHL Film 1703890; digital versions available at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Clark] Spoden, Muriel Millar Clark. An American Ancestry of the Clark--Morton and Tayman--Millar--Adams Families. [Kingsport, Tenn.]: M.M.C. Spoden, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 C547sm.
- [Claybourn] Claybourn, Verner Marvin and Harriette Pinnell Threlkeld. The Claybourn Family: The Descendants of Ephraim Claybourn of Tennessee and William Divine Claybourn of Jefferson County, Illinois. McKinney, Texas: H.P. Threlkeld, 1969. FHL Book 929.273 C579t.
- [Davis] Valgardson, Florence Davis. James Jordan Davis Family History: Consisting of Biographical Sketches of James Jordan Davis, His Posterity and Ancestry. Provo, Utah: J. Grant Stevenson, 1970. FHL Book 929.273 D29j.
- [Deaderick] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1918. Vol. 1. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free.
- [England] Austin-Raichart, Deb and Fodrocy, Jan Descendants of Aaron England Sparta, Tennessee : D. Austin-Raichart, [199?] FHL Book 929.273 En34; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library
- [Eppes] Johnson, Mary Lou Shoemaker. Family of Edward Eppes of Knox County, Tennessee. Fountain City, Tenn.?: Unknown, 1951. Digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Ferguson] Steiger, Grace Ferguson. The John Miller Ferguson Family History. Perrysburg, New York: G.F. Steiger, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 F381s.
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "The John Finleys of Augusta County, Virginia: Correcting the Record," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2002):3-13; Vol. 46, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2002):98-113; Vol. 46, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2002):171-178; Vol. 46, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2002):268-281. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 46 (2002).
- [Gibbs] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1918. Vol. 1. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free.
- [Gist] Dorsey, Jean Muir. Christopher Gist of Maryland and Some of His Descendants, 1679-1957, Chicago, IL: J.S. Swift Co., 1958. FHL Book 929.273 G447; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Goodpasture] Goodpasture, Albert Virgil; Goodpasture, William Henry. Life of Jefferson Dillard Goodpasture. Cumberland Presbyterian Publishing House, 1897.
- [Graves] Neal, Thomas Howe R. Harbison, Graveston, Knox County, Tennessee and Graves Genealogy. Knoxville, Tenn.: Neal, 1973. FHL Book 929.273 G783n; Index: FHL Book 929.273 G783n index.
- [Gredig] Dockter, Albert W. A Family History and Descendants of Jeremiah Gredig: With Roots in Knox County, Tennessee. [Alcoa, Tenn.]: A.W. Dockter, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 G799d.
- [Green] Adams, Edward Ewing. Green Family Historical Collections, a History of James Green (or Greene) and His Descendants: A Resident of Old Tryon and Rutherford Counties, North Carolina; Knox County, Tennessee and Madison and Bond Counties, Illinois. Springfield, Ill.: Midwest Microfilm Co., 1967. FHL Film 477574.
- [Hansard] Bell, Annie W.B. Hansard-Christian Family History Records. Knoxville, Tenn.: Hansard Family Register, 1978. FHL Film 1445967.
- [Harmon] Burris, Gloria Fay Harmon. The Descendants of Hiram Harmon & Sarah York, & Oda Agee Harmon. [Lake City, Tenn.]: G.F. Burris, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 H228bg.
- [Harris] Harris, Madison M. Family History of Col. John Sawyers and Simon Harris and Their Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: Knoxville Lithographing Co., 1913. FHL Film 1421635 Item 4; digital versions at Ancestry ($), Google Books, and Internet Archive.
- [Hewitt] Tompkins, Norma Louise Pritchett Hewitt:three hundred years form Jamestown to Wyatt Switch. [Dallas, Texas] : N.L. Tompkins, c1992. FHL Book 929.273 H497; digital version available at FamilySearch Digital Library .
- [Johnson] Johnson, Katherine Baker. The Family of the Reverend William Johnson of Virginia and Knox County, Tennessee. Typescript, 1971. FHL Film 877505 Item 2.
- [Lane] Williams, Lyle Keith. The Lane-Robertson Families of Amherst County, Virginia and Descendants. Fort Worth, Texas: L.K. Williams, 1991. FHL 929.273 L24wi
- [Lovell] Steed, Cecilia Giauque. Sketch and Record of Mary Ann Lovell, Born 1852, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. MSS., 1924. FHL Fiche 6018518.
- [McCampbell] McCampbell, Nellie Pearl, David Babelay, and Marian W. McCampbell. Samuel Shannon McCampbell [and] Sarah Prudence Smith McCampbell, Ancestors and Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: N.P. McCampbell, 1965. FHL Film 982117 Item 3.
- [Nesmith] See Alldredge-Aldridge.
- [Park] The Family Record of James Park, Deceased, from His Marriage in 1804 Down to March, 1907. 1907?. FHL Fiche 6017361.
- [Park] Armstrong, Zella. Notable Southern Families. Chattanooga, Tenn.: Lookout Publishing Company, 1926. Vol. 3. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library - free.
- [Plumlee] Houp, J. Randall. The Descendants of Isaac & Margaret (Bradshaw) Plumlee, White County, Tennessee. Alma, Ark.: J. Randall Houp, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 P735h.
- [Pritchett] Horlacher, Doris Melissa Pritchett. Edward & Catherine (Scroggins) Harner Pritchett of Wake Co. NC; Knox Co and Roan Co, TN; Camden Co, MO. Salt Lake City, Utah: D. Horlacher, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 P939hdp; Supplement: FHL Book 929.273 P939hdp supp..
- [Reagan] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL Book 929.273R22b 1978. [The Reagan family is discussed in Vol. 1.]
- [Robbins] Gray, Shawn. Descendants of Isaac Robbins. Muncie, Indiana : S. Gray, . FHL Book 929.273 R535; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library
- [Russell] Pencin, Gaye Phipps. Russell, James H.: Born ca. 1780, Prob. North Carolina, to Odin Township, Chicot Co., Ark. by 1828, to Texas in May 1837, Died ca. 1840. (Possibly Son of William Russell, Sr. of North Carolina and Later Knox Co., Tennessee.). Woodland, Calif.: G.P. Phipps, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 R914p.
- [Sawyers] Harris, Madison M. Family History of Col. John Sawyers and Simon Harris and Their Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: Knoxville Lithographing Co., 1913. FHL Film 1421635 Item 4; digital versions at Ancestry ($), Google Books, and Internet Archive.
- [Schenck] Schenck, Harry A. Schenck Family History: Henry Schenck and Meta Flemming Family: From Tennessee and Wisconsin to San Diego, California. n.p.: H.A. Schenck, 2009. FHL Book 929.273 Sch27shh.
- [Sevier]Turner, Francis Marion. Life of General John Sevier New York: The Neale Publishing Co., 1910. Free digital copy.
- [Smith] McCampbell, Nellie Pearl, David Babelay, and Marian W. McCampbell. Samuel Shannon McCampbell [and] Sarah Prudence Smith McCampbell, Ancestors and Descendants. Knoxville, Tenn.: N.P. McCampbell, 1965. FHL 982117 Item 3.
- [Tarwater] Tarwater, Charles B. A Brief History of the Tarwater Family. Knoxville, Tenn.: C.B. Tarwater, 1957. FHL Film 1206499 Item 47. Supplement: FHL Film 1206499 Item 48.
- [Thomas] "Abram Thomas, Welsh Ironmaster," Tennessee Ancestors, Vol. 7, No. 2 (Aug. 1991).
- [Toole] Craig, Joe Mason and Mary Marcie. John Toole, Ruth Ann Rankin, and Their Descendants. Oceanside, Calif.: J.M. and M. Craig, c1984 (Natchitoches, La.: Mayfield Printing). FHL Book 929.273 T618c; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library .
- [Walker] Bowman, G. Ralph. Some Descendants of Captain George Walker, 1745-1833: of Fauquier, Virginia; Burke County, North Carolina; Knox, Rhea & Bledsoe Counties, Tenn. n.p.: G.R. Bowman, 1978, 2004. FHL Book 929.273 W152bg.
- [Walker] Walker, Mary and David Walker. Ballard Ira Walker's Family. Tenn.?: M.B. Walker, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 W151wm.
- [Wallace] Seivers, Edna Wallace. The Ancestors and Descendants of Robert Wallace. Knoxville, Tenn.: E. Seivers, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 W155se.
- [White] Scott, Nancy N. A Memoir of Hugh Lawson White, Judge of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, Member of the Senate of the United States...Philadalphia: J.B.Lippincott, 1856. Free digital copy.
- [White] Coleman, C.W. "Genealogy of the Smith Family of Essex County, Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jul. 1897):41-52. Digital versions at JSTOR - free; USGenWeb - free.
- [Young] Stein, Carl F. Some Descendents of James Pickens Young 1815: of Polk, Rhea, Hamilton, Blount, & Knox Counties, Tenn., Cherokee, & Gaston Counties, North Carolina. Family Group Sheets. FHL Film 2055385 Item 2.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Original Virginia Records Imaged and Indexed Online," Arlene Eakle's Virginia Genealogy Blog, 12 October 2008.