LDS Family History Suite 2
The LDS Family History Suite 2 was published in Provo, Utah by Infobases in 1999 and is available at the Family History Library on compact disc no. 205 pt. 1. When searching for Latter-day Saint ancestors there are two useful databases in this CD-ROM collection. Each database is word searchable. When you find a name, you see the actual entry in the context of the book. The two databases are:
- Pioneer Heritage Library
- Latter-day Saint Vital Records Library
Pioneer Heritage Library[edit | edit source]
The Pioneer Heritage Library includes some sources that are not available elsewhere. Included in this Library are major sources such as:
- Over 10,000 photographs
- Biographical sketches
- Diaries and autobiographies
- Early Latter-day Saint newspapers and periodicals
- Doctrinal works
- Emigration sources
- The Utah Historical Quarterly
- Mormons and Their Neighbors compiled by Marvin E. Wiggins
- Membership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1830-1848 by Susan Easton Black
- Guide to Mormon Diaries and Autobiographies by Davis Bitton
- The published series of pioneer histories by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers
- Encyclopedic History of the Church by Andrew Jenson
- History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by Joseph Smith
Latter-day Saint Vital Records Library[edit | edit source]
The Latter-day Saint Vital Records Library includes twelve reference works about the pioneers. Each reference must be searched separately. The majority of the books in this section were compiled by Harvey and Susan Easton Black. It also includes an index to Utah deaths from 1898 to 1905 excluding Salt Lake County.
Then and Now[edit | edit source]
In the years following the publication of the LDS Family History Suite 2, the sources related to Latter-day Saint research that were included in this collection are beginning to appear in online databases. Some online sources for the records originally included in the LDS Family History Suite 2 are as follows:
- Available at FamilySearch Catalog Mormons and Their Neighbors, compiled by Marvin E. Wiggins.
- Ancestry.com has all the databases in this collection available on their website for a subscription fee.
- WorldVitalRecords.com has some of the Latter-day Saint records in their online collection. Visit your local family history center for free access to the records at this subscription site.
- The Utah State History website for the Historical Quarterly has a table of contents for Volumes 1 to the present and an index to Volumes 41-60 (1978-1996) online. In addition, from Volume 70, Number 3 (Summer 2002), the issues are available online in PDF format.