Little Bowland-with-Leagram, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Introduction[edit | edit source]

Bowland-with-Leagram is a civil parish in the Ribble Valley district of Lancashire, England, covering part of the Forest of Bowland.

As the only part of Forest of Bowland that lay within the historic boundaries of Lancashire, the area was known for many centuries by the name of Little Bowland and this name remains in common use today.

The name Bowland-with-Leagram was coined in 1935 as the official title of a newly-formed civil parish that remained part of the Clitheroe Rural District of Lancashire up until 1974.

Historically, Leagram, a manor in its own right, was part of the ancient Lordship of Bowland which comprised a Royal Forest and a Liberty of ten manors spanning eight townships and four parishes and covered an area of almost 300 square miles (800 km2) on the historic borders of Lancashire and Yorkshire. The manors within the Liberty were Leagram, Slaidburn (Newton-in-Bowland, West Bradford, Grindleton), Knowlmere, Waddington, Easington, Bashall Eaves, Mitton, Withgill (Crook),Hammerton and Dunnow (Battersby).

Civil Registration
[edit | edit source]

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

  • Clitheroe

Census
[edit | edit source]

Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]

Clitheroe Poor Law Union, Lancashire