Little Compton, Warwickshire Genealogy
|Little Compton, Warwickshire|
|County||Warwickshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Chipping Norton|
|Registration District||Chipping Norton|
|Parish registers: 1588|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1605|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Warwickshire County Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Little Compton, Compton (Little), or Compton-Parva, is a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick; 4 miles E of Moreton railway station, and 4½ miles NW of Chipping-Norton. The post town is Barton-on-the-Heath, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Little Compton, Warwickshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Little Compton, Warwickshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813', Ancestry, accessed 16 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938', Ancestry, accessed 20 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 24 January 2014.
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-305988-church-of-st-denis-little-compton British listed Building website