Lumley Christ Church, Durham Genealogy
|Lumley Christ Church, Durham|
|County||Durham, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Chester le Street|
|Registration District||Chester le Street; Durham|
|Parish registers: 1862|
|Rural Deanery||Chester le Street|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Durham County Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LUMLEY, GREAT, a township, in the parish and union of Chester-le-Street, N division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 1½ mile SSE from Chester-le-Street. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.
The parish of Christ Church Lumley was formed from a chapelry within the ancient parish of Chester-le-Street and dates from 1862. It includes both Great and Little Lumley.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Lumley Christ Church Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Durham|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Durham ($)|
|Ancestry-England Select Births, Marriages, Death, and Burials ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Durham ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Durham ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
- England, Northumberland, Cumberland, Durham, Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch) - free
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Lumley Christ Church (see Chester le Street) on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 190-194. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.