Lyminge, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Lyminge, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Elham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1584|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LYMINGE (St. Mary and St. Eadburgh), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Loningborough, lathe of Shepway, E division of the county of Kent, 2 miles SSW from Elham. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Lyminge is a village and civil Parish in the Shepway district of Kent Lyminge Wikipedia
Lyminge is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury which included Rhodes Minnis. Stanford, Kent was formed as a chapelry from this parish. The modern parish of Lyminge and Paddlesworth (near Folkestone), Kent is one of the parishes in the Benefice of Lyminge with Paddlesworth Stanford with Postling St Mary and Postling St Radegund.
The Parish Church of St Mary and St Ethelburga Church website contains a history of the church and parish.
The remains of the older church and the church of St Mary and St Ethelburga have been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Kent Archaeological Society have a detailed survey of the church.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Chapel Lane Rhodes Minnis is part of the South Kent Methodist Circuit Rhodes Minnis For image and history of the chapel see Rhodes Minnis Methodist Chapel Rhodes Minnis is a village within the Lyminge civil parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Lyminge parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lyminge Online Parish Records|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Lyminge and Paddlesworth are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 198-203. Date accessed: 26 August 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, (WayBack Machine) accessed 13 March 2012.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.