Maine, Passenger Lists for the Schooner Independent - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1795-1818 (15 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Passenger Lists|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains passenger lists from the schooner Independent in Maine in 1806. The collection corresponds with NARA publication 4707085 and was filmed at the NARA facility in Boston, Massachusetts.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records list:
- The name of passenger
- Place of embarkation
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The place where the person lived prior to immigration
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select the Date Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the place of origin to search for census, birth, and marriage records
- If your ancestor had a common name, be sure to look at all the entries for a name before you decide which is correct
- Continue to search the passenger lists to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who may have immigrated at the same time.
- If your ancestor has an uncommon surname, you may want to obtain the passenger list of every person who shares your ancestor’s surname if they lived in the same county or nearby. You may not know how or if they are related, but the information could lead you to more information about your own ancestors
- Use the destination to begin migration patterns with future census, birth, marriage, and death records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the name
- Look for an index. Records are often indexed by local historical and genealogical societies
- Search the indexes of other port cities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Maine.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.