Maine in the War of 1812
Introduction[edit | edit source]
The War of 1812 between Britain and the United States confirmed the separate existence of the United States and the future Canada. During the war, Maine was part of Massachusetts. Maine did not separate from Massachusetts until 1819. Maine became a state in 1820.
A soldier may have been recorded in state records (see below) or in federal records (see US in the War of 1812).
Explanation of the Major Record Types[edit | edit source]
- Pearson, Thomas A., comp. Genealogical Records of the War of 1812: an Introduction and Selected Bibliography of Materials in the Collection of St. Louis Public Library. (St. Louis, Missouri: St. Louis Public Library, July 2004).
Service Records[edit | edit source]
- Ancestry.War of 1812 Service Records.($). This database gives name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge of men mustered into the armed forces between 1812 and 1825. (Accessed 11 May 2012).
- Massachusetts. Adjutant General. Muster Rolls and Payrolls of the Massachusetts Militia, 1812-1815. (Microfilm of records at Massachusetts State Archives, Boston). On 7 FHL films starting with film 2109974 items 4-5.
- Adjutant General of Massachusetts. Records of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia. [Boston?]: Gardner W. Pearson, 1913 (Boston, Massachusetts: Wright and Potter Printing, 1913). Digital version, FHL book 974.4 M23ma, and FHL film 1033995 item 5 Lists commander, unit, soldier's name, and service dates. Indexed.
- MA Militia, War of 1812. Massachusetts Volunteer Militia in the War of 1812. (Free). Searchable. (Created June 22, 2001, c2003).
- Pearson, Gardner W.Records of the Massachusetts volunteer militia called out by the Governor of Massachusetts to suppress a threatened invasion during the war of 1812-14, (Free). (Boston: Wright and Potter Printing Co., Massachusetts state printers, 1913). index of names lists commander, unit, soldier's name, and service dates. Indexed.(Family History Library book Digital version; Q book 974.4 M23ma, and film 1033995 item 5
- General Society of the War of 1812, The Constitution and Register of Membership of the General Society of the War of 1812 to October 1, 1899. (Philadelphia, Dewey & Eakens, Makers 1899). Contains registers for eight states and the District of Columbia. Descendant Members of the Massachusetts Society, starting on page 139, identifies veteran ancestor by name, his rank, unit in which he served, dates of service, etc. Digital version, and FHL book 973 C4con
Pension Records[edit | edit source]
- Fold3. Massachusetts War of 1812 Pension Files.(Free) Alphabetical by surname. Shows entire pension file for those digitized. Incomplete as of 1 June 2012.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Newberry Library. War of 1812 Resources. Bibliography.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]