|Maryland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
History[edit | edit source]
Newspaper publication in Maryland began in 1727 with the release of the Maryland Gazette in Annapolis.
Resources for Maryland Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Libraries and Archives[edit | edit source]
The following libraries have Maryland newspaper collections on site.
Newspaper Directory[edit | edit source]
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
- Maryland State Archives (free) online collection covers the Maryland Gazette (1728-1839), and a dozen nineteenth-century newspapers.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of Maryland newspapers online. This database is free at some libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Ancestry.com ($) has over 20 historical Maryland newspapers.
- University of Pennsylvania (free) has links to a handful of free historical Maryland newspapers online.
- 1790-1799 - The Maryland Herald is available online at Google News - free.
- RootsWeb Obituary Daily Times (free) has a searchable database of over 14 million modern-day obituaries extracted by volunteers. Most are from 2000 or later, but some date back to the 1980s.
- ABYZ Newslinks (free) has a directory of links to over 140 Maryland newspapers online organized by city.
- OnlineNewspapers.com (free) links to over 110 Maryland newspapers online.
- SHG Resources State Handbook & Guide (free) links to over 30 current Maryland newspapers online.
Indexes[edit | edit source]
- Barnes, Robert W. Gleanings from Maryland Newspapers. Four Volumes. Lutherville, Maryland: Bettie Carothers, 1975-76. (ISBN: none) (OCLC;8196057) (FHL book 975.2 V2ba v. 2; film 928166 item 7) This work covers 1727 to 1795.
- Barnes, Robert W. Marriages and Deaths from the Maryland Gazette, 1727-1839. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1973. (ISBN 0806305800) (ISBN 0806305800);(OCLC;28916982) (FHL book 975.2 V2b)
- Green, Karen Mauer. The Maryland Gazette, 1727- 1761: Genealogical and Historical Abstracts. Galveston, Texas: Frontier, 1989. (ISBN 0932231071); (FHL book 975.2 D2g)
Guides[edit | edit source]
- Maryland newspapers are identified county-by-county in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Hofstetter, Eleanore O. and Marcella S. Eustis. Newspapers in Maryland Libraries: A Union List. Baltimore, Maryland: Division of Library Development Services, Maryland State Department of Education, 1977. (ISBN: none) (OCLC 3160087) (FHL Book 975.2 B33h; fiche 6046965)
- White, Les, et al. Newspapers in Maryland: A Guide to the Microfilm Collection of Newspapers at the Maryland State Archives. Annapolis, Maryland: Maryland State Archives, 1990. (ISBN: none) (OCLC 19906122, 23530179, 23140665) (FHL book 975.2 B33s)
Family History Library[edit | edit source]
To locate newspapers in the Family History Library's collection which pertain to a large part of Maryland, click here The Family History Library is not actively collecting newspapers of the United States.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Telephone interview of Ken Nelson by Michael Ritchey. Salt Lake City, 8 December 2008. Ken is a member of the Family History Library's Collection Management team. He said that although the library would not turn down a free microfilm of a U.S. newspaper, newspaper collections are not currently part of the acquisition profile for U.S. places, and haven't been for some years.