Massachusetts, Biographical Directory of Loyalists - FamilySearch Historical Records
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index and images from a published book entitled, "Divided Hearts, Massachusetts Loyalists, 1765-1790: A Biographical Directory." The book contains a preface and key to the genealogies for many of the loyalists. These images are courtesy of the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records may include any of the following:
- Full names of ancestors
- Birth dates and places
- Christening dates and places
- Marriage dates and places
- Death dates and places
- Burial dates and places
- Names of other family members such as parents, spouses and children
- Other biographical details
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The residence of your ancestor
- The birth date of your ancestor
- The names of other family members and family relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Book Title to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the event dates and places to find family in census records
- Use the event dates and places to find family in church records
- Use the event dates and places to find family in military records
- Use the event dates and places to find family in land records
- Use the event dates and places to find family in additional town and county records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Massachusetts.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.