Massachusetts Colonial Records
|Massachusetts Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
Many records from the colonial era in New England were kept at the town or county level. Search the catalog at the town or county level to locate those records.
- 1622-1788- Massachusetts State Archives collection, colonial period-index and images. This collection includes agricultural, dispositions, ecclesiastical, estates, foreign affairs, Hutchinson's correspondence, Indian affairs, maritime, military, and other records.
- 1628-1777- Colony records- images only.
- 1718-1772- Court records and account books- images only.
- 1760-1786- Divorce records-images only.
- 1767-1833- Muster rolls (index file cards) of the Revolutionary War, Massachusetts-index and images.
- 1603-1779- French and Indian War muster roll index cards- images only.
History[edit | edit source]
The Plymouth Colony in 1620 and the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1630 were the first permanent European settlements. The Bay Colony originally included parts of New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Southern Maine.
|Earliest Church Records||Earliest Land Records||Earliest Court Records||Earliest Newspapers|
Resources[edit | edit source]
Court Records[edit | edit source]
- Records of the court of Assistants of the Colony of the Massachusetts Bay, 1630-1692. 3 Vols. (Boston: County of Suffolk, 1901-1928, film 046679).
Military Records[edit | edit source]
- Massachusetts Officers and Soldiers, 1702-1722: Queen Anne's War to Dummer's War by Mary E. Donahue. (Boston: Society of Colonial Wars, 1980).
- Massachusetts Officers and Soldiers, 1723-1743: Dummer's War to the War Jenkins' Ear by Myron O. Stachiw. (Boston: Society of Colonial Wars, 1979).
- Massachusetts Soldiers in the French and Indian Wars, 1744-1755 by David K. Goss. (Boston: Society of Colonial Wars, 1985).
- Massachusetts Officers in the French and Indian Wars, 1748-1763 by Nancy S. Voye. (Boston: Society of Colonial Wars, 1975).
- Soldiers in King Philip's War by George M. Bodge. (1906. Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1991).
- Massachusetts Officers and Soldiers in the Seventeenth Century Conflicts by Carole Doreski. (Boston: Society of Colonial Wars, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1982).
- Membership Roll of Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, 1637-1744, Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- Woburn Men in the Indian and Other Wars Previous to the Year 1754 by Arthur Greene Loring.
- Soldiers in the French War from Essex County, 1775-1800 by Eben Putnam. (Salem, MA: Historical Society of Essex, 1892).
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Checklist of Boston Newspapers, 1704-1780 by Mary Farwell Ayer. (Boston: Colonial Society of Massachusetts, 1907).
- Index of Obituaries in Boston Newspapers, 1704-1800. 3 Vols. (Boston: G.K. Hall, 1968).
Manuscript Collections[edit | edit source]
- Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield Public Library. Massachusetts family history files, 1550-1990.
- Rollin H. Cooke Collections. A series of town records. Some of these records have been digitized on FamilySearch, and can be found by searching for the town of interest in the library catalog.
- Elmer I. Shepard Collection: Massachusetts family group records, 1550-1900. Partially digitized but not indexed.
- Walter E. Corbin Manuscript Collection at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston. Digitized but not indexed.
- Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants: The Bowman Files by George Ernest Bowman. (Boston: Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1983).
- The Judd Manuscript Collection, 1625-1850at the Forbes Public Library in Northamption.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Partially indexed and digitized.
- Collections of the Massachusetts Historical Society.
References[edit | edit source]
- Christina K. Schaefer, Genealogical encyclopedia of the colonial Americas : a complete digest of the records of all the countries of the Western Hemisphere (Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, c1998), 243. WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 929.11812 D26 1998
- Christina K. Schaefer, Genealogical encyclopedia of the colonial Americas : a complete digest of the records of all the countries of the Western Hemisphere (Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Publishing Company, c1998), 183, 192. WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 929.11812 D26 1998