|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Several helpful gazetteers of Michigan have been published. Three of the better sources for finding place names are:
- Blois, John T. Gazetteer of the State of Michigan. Detroit, Mich.: S.L. Rood, 1939. FHL Film 897469 item 1; Fiche 6051130.)
- Romig, Walter. Michigan Place Names. Grosse Pointe, Mich.: n.p., 197-. FHL Book 977.4 E2r; Film 982202 item 1.
- Michigan Gazetteer. Wilmington, De.: American Historical Publications, 1991. FHL Book 977.4 E5mg. A historical gazetteer which gives detailed information about events that have occurred and the individuals who participated.
For other placename and locality books see:
- ATLAS OF GREAT LAKES INDIAN HISTORY by H. Tanner.
- ATLAS OF MICHIGAN, by Tackaberry.
- ATLAS OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN by H.F. Walling.
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE PRINTED MAPS OF MICHIGAN, 1840-1880 by Louis C. Karpinski
- EARLY MICHIGAN SETTLEMENTS by W.W. Florer.
- LAKE SUPERIOR PLACE NAMES: FROM BAWATING TO THE MONTREAL, by Bernard C. Peters
- MANUSCRIPT MAPS OF THE COUNTIES OF MICHIGAN, 1818-1841, 30 volS. by Bela Hubbard.
- MICHIGAN ATLASES & PLAT BOOKS: A CHECKLIST 1872-1973, comp. by Wm. Miles.
- MICHIGAN GHOST TOWNS, by Dodge, 3 vols.
- MICHIGAN INDIAN PLACE NAMES, by Vogel
- MICHIGAN SHADOW TOWNS: A STUDY OF VANISHING AND VIBRANT VILLAGES, by Gene Scott
- TOWNSHIP ATLAS OF THE UNITED STATES comp. by John L. Andriot.
Other interesting data is the "The Rural Property Inventory" by LeRoy Barnett, a description of which appears in "Michigan's Habitant Heritage" the journal of the French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan, v.3 #3 p.43 (1982).
[edit | edit source]
- Polk's Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory -
- Gazetteer of the state of Michigan, 1839 - https://archive.org/details/gazetteerofstate01bloi
How did your migrating ancestor find the correct destination out West? Quite possibly they had a copy of Brown's book:
- Brown, Samuel R. The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western. Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.