Milwaukee Wisconsin North Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Milwaukee Wisconsin North Family History Center
755 N. Woelfel Rd, Brookfield, Wisconsin 53045
Our center and its basic services are provided free to the public. We invite all who are interested in genealogy and family history to visit.
Our volunteers can show you how to use the center's resources. To make your visit more effective, please bring as much information as you have
about the ancestor(s) you wish to research, including birth, marriage and death information. Don't forget to bring a flash drive!
A nominal fee is charged for printing.
Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 3:00pm, evenings by appointment
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 3:00pm and 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Snow closings: If Elmbrook and/or Waukesha School Districts are closed, the center is closed.
- Saturday and Sunday, April 4 and 5, 2020 - General Conference
- Sunday, April 12, 2020 - Easter
- Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - Cleaning
- Sunday, May 10, 2020 - Mother's Day
- Sunday, June 21, 2020 - Father's Day
- Saturday, July 4, 2020 - Independence Day
- Saturday and Sunday, October 3 and 4, 2020 - General Conference
- Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - Cleaning
- Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - Veteran's Day
- Sunday to Saturday, November 22 to 28, 2020 - Thanksgiving Break
- Sunday to Friday, December 20, 2020 to January 1, 2021 - Christmas Break
Note: Family History Sunday School classes and workshops scheduled during the week will continue throughout the holidays if needed.
Map and Directions[edit | edit source]
Location map: Location Map
Address: 755 N. Woelfel Rd, Brookfield, Wisconsin 53045
- Just north of Bluemound Rd between Brookfield Rd and Calhoun Rd. We are located in a Church building (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). Please enter on the south side of the building. Ample parking is provided.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Free Monthly Workshops, Saturdays in 2019 - 2020, 10:30am - 11:30am
- Please register for workshops by emailing Katrina Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before attending class, create a free FamilySearch.org account
- Bring your family history data gathered from family records
11 Apr - CANCELLED because of instruction from Church headquarters to cancel all church meetings and activities because of COVID-19.
Attaching Sources to Family Tree in FamilySearch.org
- Attaching from FamilySearch Search Records tool
- Creating a source from another website
- Creating a source from FamilySearch Memories Gallery
9 May - CANCELLED Internet: Using Family History Center Websites
- Using 14+ subscription websites for free
- Using Google to research and translate
13 Jun - FamilySearch Memories
- Adding and attaching photos, documents, audio files, stories
- Bring family photos and documents to scan
Future workshops TBA
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
- 3rd Thursday/Friday of each month, except summer
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
We have access to all the resources of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City through free computer programs, microfilm and microfiche.
Hardware[edit | edit source]
- 7 computers with internet
- 1 microfilm/microfiche readers
- 1 microfilm/microfiche scanner/printer
- 1 Lexmark scanner/copier/printer
- Free wifi
Software[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch.org with Family Tree for organizing and researching genealogical information
- Family History Center Portal with free access to premium family history software and websites
- FamilySearch Catalog with the ability to find digitized microfilms, books, family histories, repositories of offline records, etc.
Premium Family History Websites[edit | edit source]
- 19 Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press: The American Civil War: Research Database | Letters and Diaries | Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera Social and Cultural History | Women and Social Movements in the United States
- American Ancestors: New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Ancestry.com Institution Versions: U.S. | Australia | Canada | Germany | Sweden | United Kingdom
- ArkivDigital Online: Swedish Records
- FamNet: New Zealand Family History Network
- Findmypast Institution Version: British and Irish Family History
- Fold3.com: Military Records
- Geneanet: European and other records
- Kinpoint Premium: FamilySearch members assistance website
- MyHeritage Library Edition: Vital Records and Family Trees
- Paper Trail: A Guide to Overland Pioneer Names and Documents
- Puzzilla.org Premium Services: FamilySearch members assistance website
Reference Aids[edit | edit source]
- Blank census sheets
- Family group record forms
- Language word lists
- Pedigree charts
- Reference books
- Research outlines
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Trained Staff[edit | edit source]
- Our staff has a wealth of knowledge about family history and is eager to help patrons who request assistance.
- All staff members are trained monthly to keep them up to date on FamilySearch.org tools.
- Our center is known for its friendliness, helpfulness and kindness. We happily welcome all to our family history center.
Translation Services[edit | edit source]
- Translations services are available by appointment or transcript drop off: German, Hungarian, Latvian, Spanish, Chinese and Portuguese. Please call or come in and we will have one of our translators contact you.
- We are always looking for people who can translate other languages into English.