Minster in Thanet, Kent
Guide to Minster in Thanet, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Minster in Thanet, Kent|
|Hundred||Ringslow or Isle of Thanet|
|Poor Law Union||Thanet|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MINSTER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 5 miles SW by S from Margate. There are two chapels of St. Mary, and St. Peter and St. Paul. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Minster in Thanet is a village and civil parish in the Thanet district of Kent, see Minster-in-Thanet Wikipedia
Minster in Thanet St Mary is an Ancient Parish which included Acol within the parish boundary.
The church of St Mary Station Road Minster has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
See Kent Archaeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 10 (1800), pp. 264-294. Date accessed: 5 September 2013. at British History Online Kent Churches website
Acol is a hamlet and civil parish Acol Wikipedia
From the extensive parish with the growth of Westgate on Sea Westgate on Sea Wikipedia were formed in the civil parish of Margate the Anglican parishes of:
- Westgate St James see Kent Churches website
- Westgate St Saviour Westgate Bay Avenue Margate. The church of St Saviour dates from 1873-1874 and has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building See Kent Churches website
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Minster in Thanet parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|Minster in Thanet Online Parish Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 321-325. Date accessed: 17 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.