Missouri Bible Records
|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has an index of over 40,000 digitized family Bible records and each day more records are digitized and added to the Index.
- Index to Early Bible Records provides a free index to over 17,000 online and offline pre-1830 Bible records.
- Missouri Bible Records, Volume 1, ($), index
Missouri Bible Records[edit | edit source]
A Bible was often given by relatives to a bride as a wedding gift, where she recorded information about her immediate family and close relatives. Relationships were seldom stated but were often implied. Names of parents, children, and their spouses, including maiden names, were frequently given along with dates of birth, marriage, and death. Sometimes the age of a person was given at the time of death. Many families kept Bible records from the 1700s (and sometimes earlier) to more recent times, although few have survived. Some have been donated to local libraries or societies.
Bible records are a valuable source of information. Names and dates of events were often kept in the Family Bible. Locating the Family Bible can be a challenge because it was often passed down to succeeding family members. However, some collections have been created and are kept in local Universities, genealogical and historical societies or libraries.
- The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collection contains some volumes of Missouri Bible records. (See Missouri Compiled Genealogies). It is partially indexed in E. Kay Kirkham, An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States,Volume 2 (Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL fiche 6089184, book 973 D22kk v.2.
- Ellsbery, Elizabeth Prather, Bible Records of Missouri,8 vols. (Chillicothe, Missouri: E. P. Ellsberry, [1963-65]) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL film 873910, fiche 6051119, book 977.8 V29e. 3 additional volumes published in 1968 are in FHL films 873911 items 4-5 and 851115 item 18, book 977.8 V29L
- Some Bible records are also found in genealogical periodicals. The Periodical Source Index (PERSI) may assist in locating periodicals.