Missouri Probate Records
|Missouri Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Missouri, Wills and Probate Records, 1766-1988, ($), index and images, incomplete.
- Missouri, Probate Records, 1750-1998 Images only. dates vary by county.
- 1766 - 1988 Missouri Wills and Probate Records 1766-1988 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Record Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Probate is the “court procedure by which a will is proved to be valid or invalid” and encompasses “all matters and proceedings pertaining to the administration of estates, guardianships, etc.” Various types of records are created throughout the probate process. These may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. These documents are extremely valuable to genealogists and should not be neglected. In many instances, they are the only known source of relevant information such as the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence. They may also include information about adoption or guardianship of minor children and dependents. For further information about the probate process, types of probate records, analyzing probate records, and to access a glossary of probate terms, see United States Probate Records.
- Probate matters in Missouri have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. The records include wills, administrator bonds, and estate inventories. They are frequently indexed.
- A brief history of the settlement and boundary changes of Missouri and the resultant effects on record keeping can be found on Ancestry. ($)
- A discussion of Missouri Probate Records written by Marsha Hoffman Rising and Pamela Boyer Porter in Red book: American State, County, and Town Sources can be found at Ancestry. ($)
Repositories[edit | edit source]
Local[edit | edit source]
- Copies of probate records can be obtained by contacting the probate judge in each county, or the Circut Court.
Statewide Record Collections[edit | edit source]
A statewide index to Missouri probate records has not been compiled.
- The Missouri State Archives has made digitized collections of court files available online. Records are available by county, court and year and are searchable by name and keyword. At this time, the digital collections include:
•Greene County Circuit Court (1856-1873, non-inclusive)
•Jasper County Circuit Court (1860-1876, non-inclusive)
•New Madrid County Probate Court (1805-1830)
•Saint Charles County Circuit Court (1805-1835)
•Saint Louis City Probate Court (1876-1900, separated from county in 1876)
•Saint Louis County Probate Court (1804-1876).
- Daughters of the American Revolution (Missouri). Miscellaneous Records of Missouri, 1820-1870. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. FHL Film 893713 Items 1-2.
- Daughters of the American Revolution. Osage Chapter (Sehalia, Missouri). Miscellaneous Records, 1605-1970. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. FHL Film 893713 Item 4.
- Woodruff, Audrey Lee Wagner.Missouri Miscellany: State-wide Missouri Genealogical Records by the Publishers of "Missouri Pioneers". Independence, Missouri: A. Woodruff, 1976-1984. FHL Book 977.8 D2w v.1-17.
- Hodges, Nadine. Missouri Pioneers, County and Genealogical Records. Kansas City, Missouri: N. Hodges & A.L.W. Woodruff, 1967-. FHL Book 977.8 D2h v. 1-30. Digital versions of Vol. 2-11 can be viewed at this link.
Learn More[edit | edit source]
Published Materials[edit | edit source]
- Kelley, Henry S., John B. Gage, and William Patterson Borland. A Treatise on the Law Relating to the Powers....of Executors....the Jurisdiction and Powers and Duties of the Probate Courts....adapted to the laws of Missouri....Kansas City, Mo. : Vernon Law Book Company, 1913. View at Internet Archive.
- Coke, Jennifer A. Missouri Probate: Beyond the Basics. National Business Institute, 2001.
- Nevins, Francis M. Missouri Probate: Intestacy, Wills, and Basic Administration. Harrison Co., 1983. WorldCat entry.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Henry Campbell Black, Black's Law Dictionary, 5th ed. (St. Paul, Minnesota: West Publishing Co., 1979), 1081, "probate."