|Moldova Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Dicţionarul statistic al Basarabiei : intocmit pe baza recensamântului populaţiei din anul 1902, corectat prin datele actuale, statistice ale primariilor şi prin tabelele biurourilor de populaţie centralizate in 1922/1923. Chis̜ina̮u, Romania : Tip. societaţii anonime "Glassul ţarii", 1923.
- Gazetteer of Bessarabia (Moldavia/Ukraine) : 1:200 000. Gloucester, Ontario : The Schindler-Spring Family Organization, 1985
- Heimatbuch der Bessarabiendeutschen. Hannover, Germany : Hilfskomitee der evangelisch-lutherischen Kirche aus Bessarabien, 1976.
- Verzeichnis der deutschen Gemeinden Bessarabiens, 1938-1939. Tarutino, Russia : Karl Liebram, 1940.
- Списки населенных мест Российской Имперіи. Zug, Switzerland : Inter Documentaion Co., [1976?].
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a country with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)