Monroe is a city in and the parish seat of Ouachita Parish, Louisiana.
History[edit | edit source]
It is a common misconception that Monroe is named for James Monroe of Virginia, the fifth President of the United States and, with Robert R. Livingston, one of the negotiators of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase from France. This is true only in an indirect sense. In truth, the settlement, formerly known as Fort Miro, adopted the name in honor of the steam powered paddle-wheeler James Monroe. The arrival of the ship had a profound effect on the settlers. It was the singular event that transformed the outpost into a town, in the minds of local residents. The ship is depicted in a mural at the main branch of the Monroe Library on North 18th Street.