Montana, Cascade County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Montana, Cascade County Records, 1880-2009
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Cascade, Montana, |
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Cascade County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Cascade County Clerk, Montana|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of county record collections from the following record custodians. History Museum in Great Falls:
- Voter register
- Naturalization and immigration records
Great Falls Genealogy Society:
- Probate case files, # 535-3165, 1903-1926
- Court orders for dependent children, 1903-1937
- Old age applications
- Naturalization records, pre 1945
County Clerk's Office:
- Deeds from 1880-1941 and index to 1995.
This collection covers the years 1880 to 2009.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Cascade County Records, 1880-2009.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
|Record||Types of Records||Years|
|Cemetery||Calvary and Mt. Olivet cemeteries||1880s-1980s|
|Cemetery||Hillcrest Lawn Memorial Association||1880s-1980s|
|Cemetery||Old and New Highland cemetery||1880s-1980s|
|Cemetery||Small cemeteries and miscellaneous burials||1880s-1980s|
|Census||Cascade county card index||1910|
|Census||Census card index||1910|
|Census||Census Cascade county card index||1910|
|Census||Census of Hill||1956|
|Census||City of Great Falls Municipal census||1913|
|Census||Official census of the City of Great Falls||1896-1913|
|County Court||Court orders for dependent children||1916-1937|
|Elections||Voter registration cards||1937-1960|
|Genealogy||Card index to family||undated|
|Genealogy||Card index to pedigree charts||1500s-2000s|
|Land and property||Deeds (Meagher County)||1880-1891|
|Land and property||Deeds||1887-1940|
|Land and property||Index of separate property of married women||1895-1914|
|Land and property||Lot book||1887-1995|
|Land and property||Quitclaim deeds||1887-1906|
|Land and property||Separate property of married women and sole traders||1895-1914|
|Land and property||Tax deed land sold under contract||1931-1936|
|Land and property||Townsite deeds||1887-1901|
|Military||Military roll of Cascade County||1896-1911|
|Naturalization||Certificate of naturalization||1907-1925|
|Naturalization||Citizenship petitions granted lists||1930-1961|
|Naturalization||Declaration of intention||1888-1941|
|Naturalization||Index to citzenship/intentions||1888-1906|
|Naturalization||Index to declaration of intention||undated|
|Naturalization||Index to declarations||1888-1906|
|Naturalization||Index to intent/petitions/citizenship||1907-1965|
|Naturalization||Petition for naturalization||1907-1966|
|Naturalization||Petition for naturalization, granting petitions||1962-1966|
|Obituaries||Index to Obituaries||1880-2002|
|Pensions||Index to old age pension applications||1923-1935|
|Pensions||Old age pension applications||1923-1935|
|Probate||Index estate & probate; abstract of wills||1903-1978|
|Probate||Index to probate register||1890-1940|
|Probate||Index to wills||1895-1930|
|Probate||Probate case files||1903-1940|
|Probate||Record of wills||1901-1930|
|Public||Montana indentification card index||1958-1978|
|School||School census records||1896-1955|
|School||School census summaries||1907|
|Tax||County poll tax index||1891-1898|
|Tax||Tax lists Great Falls||1889-1895|
|Vital||Birth index, Delayed births; Great Falls birth register||1885-1917|
|Vital||Certificates of Birth||1918-1920|
|Vital||Declaration of marriage||1915-1964|
|Vital||Great Falls Tribune vital records||1952-1999|
|Vital||Index to births and deaths||1895-1907|
|Vital||Index to births and deaths||1895-1907|
|Vital||Index to births||1893-1933|
|Vital||Marriage license record||1950-1967|
|Vital||Register of births and deaths||1895-1907|
|Vital||Register of births||1893-1933|
|Voter||Precinct map, poll books||1907-1908|
|Voter||School District Precinct||1903-1911|
|Voter||School District Wards||1892-1910|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The age of your ancestor
- The names of relatives
- The type of event such as marriage or naturalization
- The approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Category
- Select the Record Type, Volume, and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the age to calculate the birth date to find vital records such as birth, christening, marriage, and death
- Use the probate date as a substitute for the death date
- Use the name of the undertaker, mortuary, or cemetery to find funeral and cemetery records
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Use the information to find the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.