Montana, Sanders County Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Montana, Sanders County Records, 1866-2010
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Sanders, Montana, |
|Flag of Montana|
|Location of Sanders County, Montana|
|Location of Montana|
|Record Type||County Records|
|Sanders County Courthouse, Thompson Falls, Montana|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of images to county birth, death, marriage, veteran burials, voter, naturalization, land and probate records located in the county courthouse in Thompson Falls. The death certificates have been indexed. This collection includes records from 1866 to 2010.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Montana, Sanders County Records, 1866-2010.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of primary individual or individuals
- Date and place of birth, death, or marriage
- Names of parents, siblings, family members, witnesses, or heirs
- Place of origin
- Estate inventories
- Property descriptions
- Amount of monies transacted
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
|Cemetary||Burials of war veteran||1929-2009|
|Land and Property||Certificate of location||1907-1929|
|Land and Property||Declaration of occupancy index||1882-2007|
|Land and Property||Declaration of occupancy||1891-1974|
|Land and Property||Deed Index-grantee||1884-1947|
|Land and Property||Deed Index-grantor||1884-1947|
|Land and Property||Deeds from District Judge||1894-1929|
|Land and Property||Deeds mining||1890-1911|
|Land and Property||Deeds-quit claim||1890-1927|
|Land and Property||Deeds-sheriffs||1895-1948|
|Land and Property||Deeds||1866-1942|
|Land and Property||Deeds-warranties||1917-1925|
|Land and Property||Mining location index||1866-1969|
|Land and Property||Mining locations||1866-1940|
|Land and Property||Patents-State land||1904-1918|
|Land and Property||Patents-US||1890-1947|
|Land and Property||Placer locations||1902-1951|
|Land and Property||Quartz locations||1901-1936|
|Naturalization||Declaration of intentions||1906|
|Vital||Birth Index A-Z||1916-1930|
|Vital||Death index A-Z||1916-2010|
|Vital||Marrriage index reverse||1907-1960|
|Voter||Thompson Falls register of electors||1911-1919|
Coverage Map[edit | edit source]
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Montana marriages click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Record Category
- Select the Record Type, Record Description, and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage and death
- Use the probate date as a substitute for the death date
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
- Use the occupations to find employment or military records
- Search for the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Montana.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.