Moulton St James, Lincolnshire Genealogy
Guide to Moulton St James, Lincolnshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MOULTON, a village, a parish, and a sun-district, in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands adjacent to the Spalding and Lynn railway, 4 miles E by N of Spalding and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Spalding. The parish contains also the chapelry of Moulton-Chapel, and the hamlets of Austindyke, Eaugate, and Seasend; and extends to the coast. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with beautiful tower and finely-proportioned octagonal spire...resembling that of St. James, Westminster. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Moulton St James, also known as Moulton Chapel, was built in 1722 as a chapel of ease to Moulton, Lincolnshire Genealogy Ancient Parish. The ecclesiatical parish of Moulton St James, was created from Moulton Ancient Parish in 1890.
The octagonal church has seating both in the nave and a balcony. The parish of St James is part of the united benefice of Moulton within the Diocese of Lincoln.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Moulton St James parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Moulton St James Online Parish Records|
|FMP Marr Index||1700-1837|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Lincolnshire Archives.
Moulton St James is listed as Moulton Chapel Parish in the Lincolnshire Archives Catalogue.
Lincolnshire Archives holds the following registers for this parish:
Moulton Chapel Par/1/1 Marriages 1890-1971
Moulton Chapel Par/1/1 Marriages 1971-1988
Moulton Chapel Par/1/1 Baptisms 1890-1947
Subsequent registers will still be at the church itself.
The digitisation of parish records for the county now offers images via the Lincs to the past website (July 2011). Use advanced search terms at Search Lincs to the past to search for available images for parish registers and other records for this parish with images. Advance search terms Moulton Chapel Par 1 will identify available images.
Material deposited at Lincolnshire Archives,
St Rumbold Street
Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org The website enables you to view a PDF file for all records held for each parish as part of continuing efforts to provide an online catalogue.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lincolnshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Adapted. Date accessed: 09 September 2013.
- Youngs, Frederic A. Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, Vol. 2; Northern England. Offices of Royal Historical Society, London: 1991.