Muckleshoot Indian Tribe
To get started on American Indian Research
Tribal Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Muckleshoot Indian Tribe
39015 172nd Avenue SE
Auburn, WA 98092
History[edit | edit source]
Brief Timeline[edit | edit source]
1818: Agreement with the British
1827: Agreement with the United States
1839: Catholic missionaries
1854-18--: Governor Isaac Stevens of Washington Territory and Superintendent of Indian Affairs begins action to reacquire as much land as possible from the Indian tribes
1855: White River Massacre
1856: Medicine Creek treaty cede land to the United States
1856: Muckleshoot Reservation created along the White River; not all tribal members removed to the reservation
1855-1856: Yakima Indian War, some tribal warriors participate
Additional References to the History of the Tribe[edit | edit source]
Details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Reservations[edit | edit source]
This tribe is primarily associated with the Muckleshoot Reservation in Washington.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Agency Records[edit | edit source]
Correspondence and Census[edit | edit source]
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Roll 962
M595 RG 75 Roll 595
|Muckleshoot||Tulalip Agency, 1854-1952||Seattle||-||Rolls 93, 582-92||583041-052|
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
- Tulalip Agency (M595)
- Births and Deaths 1924-1931 FHL Film: 583049
- Births and Deaths1925-1932 FHL Film: 583050
Important Websites[edit | edit source]
- Constitution and By-Laws for the Muckleshoot Indian Tribe of the Muckleshoot Reservation Washington, Approved May 13, 1936
- Muckleshoot Indian Tribe Website
- Muckleshoot Indian Tribe Wikipedia
References[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published