New Jersey, Essex County, Superintendent of Soldiers' Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
New Jersey, Essex County, Superintendent of Soldiers' Burials, 1776-1979
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Essex, New Jersey, |
|Flag of New Jersey|
|Location of Essex County, New Jersey|
|Location of New Jersey|
|New Jersey State Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of grave registration records from the Superintendent of Soldiers' Burials in Essex County, New Jersey for years 1776-1979. The records are arranged alphabetically by the veteran's name. The microfilm of the original record is in the Essex County Records Building in Newark, New Jersey.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Next of kin
- Death date
- Branch of service
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the deceased
- The place of residence
- The approximate death or probate date
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Essex County (New Jersey). Superintendent of Soldiers' Burials. Veterans' grave registration record, ca. 1776-1979|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find a copy of a death certificate
- Use the information about their military service to look for service or pension records
- Search for a probate record
- Search local newspapers for an obituary to identify other family members
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames
- Check for an index. There are often indexes created by the court or local historical and genealogical societies
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of New Jersey.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- New Jersey Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Essex County. Veterans interment record, ca. 1776-1940.
- Essex County. Unfiled veterans' grave registration records
- Essex County. Veterans' grave registration record, ca. 1776-1979
- Gloucester County. Veterans' graves registration, 1776-1945
- Mercer County. Veteran's grave registration records
- Middlesex County. Veterans individual grave field report sheets.
- Monmouth County. Veterans grave registrations
- Sussex County. Veterans grave registration cards
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
- United States, Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-1940
- United States World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
- United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
- United States National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.