New Jersey Periodicals
|New Jersey Wiki Topics|
|New Jersey Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning New Jersey genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals helpful for New Jersey research are:
- The Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey 1925–. Published three times a year by the Genealogical Society of New Jersey. FHL Book 974.9 B2g; vols. 1-25, 36-43 on films beginning with film 982039. There are separately published indexes for volumes 1-50 (1925-1975).
- The New Jersey Genesis 1953-1971. Published first by Harold A. Sonn, later by Carl M. Williams. FHL Book 974.9 B2ge. All issues have been indexed by: Nissen, Mrs. Carl, ed. Index to the New Jersey Genesis, 1953-1971, compiled by The New Mexico Genealogical Society. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Hermosa Publishers, 1973. FHL Book 974.9 B2ge index.
- New Jersey History 1967–. (Formerly Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, 1845-1966.) Published by the New Jersey Historical Society, 230 Broadway, Newark, New Jersey 07104. FHL Book 974.9 B2h; up to Series 3 vol.3 on films 1206442-43 items 1-5. The journal has not published genealogical source material since 1951. Indexed annually.
- The Cape May County Magazine of History and Genealogy 1931–. Published annually by the Cape May County Historical and Genealogical Society, Rt. 9, Cape May Court House, New Jersey 08210. FHL Book 974.998 B2c. Indexed in Robert Crozer Alexander, Index to the Magazine of History and Genealogy, 1931-1987. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990. FHL Films 1684612-13. This card index was filmed at the Cape May Courthouse, New Jersey.
- The Jerseyman 1891-1905. Published by the Hunterdon County Historical Society, 114 Main St., Flemington, New Jersey 08822. FHL Book 974.971 B2j, Film 1425613 items 3-5, Fiche 6045912, Index on Fiche 6045913.
- Somerset County Historical Quarterly 1912-1919. Edited by A. Van Doren Honeyman and published by the Somerset County Historical Society, Somerville, New Jersey. Reprinted by Hunterdon House, Lambertville, New Jersey, 1977-1989. FHL Book 974.944 H2s v. 3-8; vols. 1-8 are on films 571134-35. Each volume is indexed.
- Vineland Historical Magazine' 1916–. Published semiannually through 1977 and annually since 1978 by the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society, P.O. Box 35, Vineland, New Jersey 08360. FHL Book 974.9 B2v; vols. 1-3 on film 483692 item 2. Only a few volumes are indexed at the end.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. New Jersey periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: New Jersey-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.