New Zealand, Auckland, Waikumete Cemetery Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
New Zealand, Auckland, Waikumete Cemetery Records, 1886-1948
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Auckland, New Zealand|
|Flag of New Zealand|
|Location of Auckland, New Zealand|
|Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection will include burial records from the Waikumete Cemetery in Auckland, New Zealand. The records span from 1886-1948.
The cemetery’s original name was Waikomiti. This term can be found in earlier records at the cemetery. The name officially changed in 1898 to the current spelling.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for New Zealand, Auckland, Waikumete Cemetery Records, 1886-1948.|
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name and Age of Deceased
- Date and Place of Death and Burial
- Cause of Death
- Birthplace of Deceased
- Years in province
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This section provides information on how to search the collection, what to do with information once found, some tips on how to find records, and what do if no record is found. As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, approximated birth or death year, and residence.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Surname to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog New Zealand, Auckland, Waikumete Cemetery records, 1886-1948. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Use the death date to locate other records, such as obituaries
- Use the birthplace to help locate migration records
- Sometimes family members are buried near each other. Compare the block, section, and lot numbers of potential relatives to see if they were buried close to each other
- Check to see if any family members are listed on the record
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Look for the handwritten index near the beginning of the volumes
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
- You may need to search for your ancestor using a nickname
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in New Zealand.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.